One important aspect of being a good bidder is being a good card player. After an informative auction, visualize the partnership hands and ask yourself, “How will it play?” before selecting a final contract.
26. At IMPs, you are South holding:
♠ A K 10 9 6 5 2 ♥ A K 4 ♦ K 8 ♣ J.
North opens 3NT, which in your partnership describes a long, solid minor with no outside ace or king. East passes; what’s your call?
27. At matchpoints, you are South declaring 2♥ on this layout:.
(1) Support double showing three hearts.
At IMPs, South would probably rebid 2♦, but chooses 2♥ because it’s matchpoints..
West leads the ♠A (ace from A–K).
- What is the likeliest distribution of the East–West hands?
- Where are the missing high-card points?
- How will you play the trump suit?