As you’ve seen, inferences about the unseen hands can be immediate or require the gradual accumulation of clues.
24. You are South declaring a notrump contract.:
West’s opening lead is the ♠6 (standard leads). How do you play the spade suit?
25. It’s matchpoints, East–West are vulnerable and you are South declaring 3♣.
(1) East–West do not play support doubles.
The opening lead is the ♦A, followed by king and a low diamond, on which you play dummy’s 10. East, who started with a singleton diamond,
ruffs the third round low and returns a heart.
- What is the distribution of the East–West hands?
- How do you plan the play?